Info Bar

info.rescueaboxer@gmail.com

Canadian Registered Charity #85269-7440RR0001

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Penny Update

It's really hard to believe it's been 2 months since this wonderful little lady entered my life. I will never forget the day they arrived. Stan met us at 7-11 and he loaded the girls in to crates in my truck. We drove home and after settling our boys in the house I went outside to bring the girls in. Penny came out of the crate like a bat out of hell. Thank goodness she had a chain attached or she would have been gone. Then it was 5 minutes of allowing her to crocodile death roll, trying to get away from me, the leash, the collar, everything. In to the yard and then in one leap she was over the safety fence and a second later the perimeter fence. I panicked, ran out and fortunatly Willow started to cry so Penny decide to come back. I finally got her calm, upstairs and stuffed back in the safety of another crate. I sat down and cried!

Over the next few days I wondered if I had bit off more then I could chew. Should I send one or both of them back? Did I have the time, the ability, the strength to work these girls to adoption? I decided YES! A month later Willow headed home and I was beaming from ear to ear. I couldn't have been happier to see my little girl go from life on a chain in the bush to a family where she attends doggie daycare, obedience and is the center of her mom's world!

A foster placement was attempted with Penny and she came back for her high energy and anxieties after leaving me. When she came back I vowed it was time for Penny's next step in training. No longer was she the timid dog who had been brought to me. She was outgoing, loving, a cuddle bug and in need of some basic obedience. Almost 3 weeks have past since I made this promise to myself and Penny. I haven't had much time to work with her, but I have been consistant and done my best. Penny is now enjoying life off leash! She heals, comes, runs and plays! Again she is a different dog from 4 weeks ago!

These dogs can accomplish so much! They are so smart, so loving, so trusting and so forgiving! I'm very excited to be able to video Penny playing and working off leash and hope to have it posted shortly for everyone to see!

She is no longer the timid girl who arrived but a well adjusted, well behaved, loyal companion!

No comments: